If you’re like most people, you don’t think about auto theft often. But trust us, if your car is ever stolen, that will change.
Rest assured that there are measures you can take to make sure your vehicle is protected.
By taking a proactive approach and being prepared for anything, you can significantly reduce the chance that you will be a victim of grand theft auto.
Five Tips for Keeping Thieves Away From Your Vehicle
- Keep the windows shut tight. With sweltering weather just around the corner, it can be tempting to leave the windows rolled down just a crack while your car is empty and parked. Though this may keep heat from getting trapped inside the car, it also makes it easy for thieves to unlock your door.
- Your spare key should stay under-wraps. Hiding a spare key in your car is a bad move. If you think your key is well-hidden, you’re probably wrong. Thieves know where to look. Plus, if an intruder finds a key inside the car and drives away with it, they are technically only committing a misdemeanor: joy riding.
- Lock your car! It may sound like a no-brainer, but 50 percent of all stolen vehicles were unlocked when taken. And don’t even dream of leaving your car running. Why make things easy for criminals?
- Park smart. Criminals hate lights, security cameras, and nosy onlookers. Try and find a parking space that features these three things, and you’re golden.
- If you like it, put your VIN on it. Engrave your vehicle identification number (VIN) into expensive parts. This makes it much more difficult to scrap your car and sell the parts, the fate of most stolen vehicles.
As the weather gets warmer, we hope our customers are playing it safe and making life harder for auto thieves.