Being stuck in a traffic jam on your way to work can really put you on edge. Add sharing the road with inconsiderate drivers to the situation, and it might not be long until your blood starts to boil. While getting frustrated on the road is understandable, reaching road rage level can actually create a dangerous situation. Here are some tips to prevent yourself from reaching that point.
- Leave 15 to 20 minutes earlier to reduce some of the stress of running late
- Remember that you can never know how another driver will react if you cut them off or make a rude gesture. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.
- Plan your route well before you leave. Being unsure of directions or having to take an alternate route can be a major source of stress for drivers.
- Studies show that tiredness can be a factor in road rage. Make sure you get plenty of sleep before getting behind the wheel.
- Remember to take a breath and count to ten if you feel anger levels rising.
None of us are our best selves when stuck in traffic. However, driving aggressively as a result is never a safe option. Keep these tips in mind the next time you feel your blood boiling behind the wheel.